Old Mission San Juan Bautista


Sunday, February 15, 2014

Old Mission San Juan Bautista is a Spanish mission in San Juan Bautista, San Benito County, California. Founded on June 24, 1797 by Fermín Lasuén of the Franciscan order, the mission was the fifteenth of the Spanish missions established in present-day California. Named for Saint John the Baptist, the mission is the namesake of the city of San Juan Bautista. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_San_Juan_Bautista)

View the entire Google Web Album

This is a photo tour of the Old Mission San Juan Bautista. Begin at the entrance under the El Camino Bell on 2nd St and walk around the exterior of the mission to see the church, bell tower, statues and outdoor views of the expansive San Juan valley. Go down the steps and walk along the original El Camino Real and directly over the San Andreas Fault.

Mission Church interior:

The cemetery on the north side of the church contains the remains of over 4,000 Christian Native Americans and Europeans. Ascencion Solorzano, the last pure blooded Native American of this mission, is buried in the cemetery. Her grave is marked by a red cross and a plaque has been placed on the wall above her grave in her memory. (http://www.oldmissionsjb.org/history.html)

Mission grounds and garden area:

Garden-In memoriam:

Mission exterior walkways and doors:

Mission Museum: view of furniture, old kitchen, dining room & sitting room

Various displays:

Books:

Artwork:

Photos:

This self guided tour is well worth the $4 admission fee; it’s a great way to spend a day and take in some of California’s history.

Advertisements